Friday, January 23, 2009

The girls are back in town!

So, as many of you know, my friend Jen and I just returned from running the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in Phoenix! We had an awesome time and the weather couldn't have been any better. I really have to thank my wonderful husband for all of his support throughout training and then a long weekend with just he and the boys, THANKS HUN, I LOVE YOU!

Anyway, here's how it all went down........
We woke up race morning at about 4am, got all ready and headed to the finish line (ASU Stadium) to then await a shuttle to the start. All was going well. We passed the Mariposa County jail (where the inmates wear pink and eat bologna), I didn't know this was in Phoenix, but anyway it was cool to see the "vacancy" sign just outside, lol. The start line was actually quite cold, especially when you are wearing spandex pants a light running shirt. We found several people huddled around a light and decided it was much warmer near them and joined in the tight huddle of runner persons (we met several new people from all over the place, it was pretty fun). At about 20 minutes before race start, we decided to hit one of the many port-a-potties on location. I guess everyone had the same thought and the lines for the potties were VERY long, but if you gotta go, you gotta go! There ended up being apx 35,000 people there! (between the full marathon and the half). We started the race about 5 minutes after we had wanted to (due to the potty line) and were running with the 6 hr finishers! (we needed to make up a little time). Anyway, we started off feeling great and it was very fun having a band around every mile marker! This race had great support, there was always something to look forward to (bands, cheerleaders, water stations and nice looking medics and cops!). At about mile 6 I felt a blister coming on, on the bottom of my foot, just under my toes. It hurt so bad, I was amazed at how a little tiny blister could cause me so much pain. At mile 10, I finally had to stop and pop the dang thing (by this time it was as big as a quarter and accompanied by another little blister the size of a dime!)...errr I was quite mad. I had new "blister-free" socks on and right now am blaming most of my pain on them. Our legs felt great and we kept an awesome pace for more than half the marathon. We ended up walking (my blister's fault) the last couple of miles as I had taken all the ibuprophen I had and could no longer endure the grueling pain. We had been right on track for a 4hr 45 min finish, however finished with a 5hr 11min time (which I am not ashamed of, my blisters really hurt). My legs still felt good at the finish, my knees a little tight....but overall what a wonderful experience and awesome girls weekend! (Thanks Jen for "making" me do this with you!). And thanks to my Uncle Jim for being such a great host and sharing your beautiful home and pools with us).

I still can't say this is my last marathon......I would really like a better finish time. However, it is the last for a while. For now, I am going to stick with the halfs! Salt Lake City half, here we come!

No comments: