Sad day today. We planned on going up to see my grandparents in Easthampton, MA, we made it up there, and my mother and I went over to the rehabilitation center where she is staying and the nurse informed us she was taken to the Emergency Room. We of course immediately went there which was just down the street from where she is living. When we got there she opened her eyes, saw me and smiled and said Hi Matthieu, saw my mother who asked her how she was doing and said, "I'm dying MaryAnn" It was hard to hear, I've always been very close to my grandmother and to see her like that was difficult. They had tried to call my grandfather, but his phone was off the hook, so I texted Carrie who was watching the boys with him and asked her to tell him to come to the ER immediately. I went back to the house and spent some time with the boys playing in the neighbors pool. After we were done we said good bye to Carrie and Geoffrey and went to the ER.
I felt I needed to say my good byes, I leave to go home tomorrow and may not ever see her again. I thanked her for everything and told her I loved her and kissed her and said good bye. I hope she makes it through, but she has been sick for some time and I may not have this opportunity again.
With my grandfather dying a couple years ago, and now my grandmother nearing, I am more aware of my own mortality. At 41 I want to ensure the next 41+ years are spent doing as much good as possible and pray I am able to do so.
We finished the day on a high note, dad took us to eat at Newport Creamery, we all started with a Awful Awful, including Tyler, who would have guessed he would actually down a whole one himself. He's always been a good drinker but my goodness that is a big drink for a 3 year old.
No comments:
Post a Comment