02/28/10 - Sunday
Yesterday was a very interesting day, we were scheduled to fly from SLC to Portland and then from Portland to Honolulu to begin our 10yr anniversary trip to Hawaii! Before I woke up, I received a text from Jen about a tsunami warning....I thought she was joking! With our TV tuned in to MSNBC we continued to pack our bags and get ready for what we hoped would be an amazing trip. We loaded up the car, kissed our boys goodbye and headed to the airport (still not knowing whether or not we would be allowed to land in Honolulu). The flight to Portland was quick, however, the tsunami had still not hit Hawaii and all of the TV's in the airport were tuned in ~ watching and waiting! We loaded to plane and prayed that we would have a safe trip! The tsunami ended up only being about 4' higher than a normal wave and did little to no damage! HOORAY our vacation can finally begin! We landed about 10:30pm, took a quick tour through Waikiki while driving to our hotel and quickly went to bed in our cozy little room!
Today (Sunday) we had a long list of things to do and places to see, we 
headed out around 9am. We first went to Pearl Harbor and received our entry tickets to see the USS Arizona Memorial, 2 hours later! From there (while we were waiting) we hit the Swap Meet! I was sort of overwhelmed by this and had to go back later to get more stuff! It was raining most of the time at the swap meet and by the end, I pretty much felt and looked like a drowned rat. My favorite thing we bought: fresh mango! Awesome.
Pearl Harbor was amazing, I think sometimes we forget how many men and women have sacrificed their lives for the freedoms that we have today. It really makes you think about what happened on that day, not really that many years ago. Here, the USS Missouri remains "standing guard" over the remains of the USS Arizona and her crew. Matt was able to go and tour the Missouri later in the week, he loved it!

headed out around 9am. We first went to Pearl Harbor and received our entry tickets to see the USS Arizona Memorial, 2 hours later! From there (while we were waiting) we hit the Swap Meet! I was sort of overwhelmed by this and had to go back later to get more stuff! It was raining most of the time at the swap meet and by the end, I pretty much felt and looked like a drowned rat. My favorite thing we bought: fresh mango! Awesome.
Pearl Harbor was amazing, I think sometimes we forget how many men and women have sacrificed their lives for the freedoms that we have today. It really makes you think about what happened on that day, not really that many years ago. Here, the USS Missouri remains "standing guard" over the remains of the USS Arizona and her crew. Matt was able to go and tour the Missouri later in the week, he loved it!From Pearl City, we drove to the Dole Pineapple Factory! YUM.....
They have the best pineapple ice cream we have ever tasted, it even had fresh pineapple tidbits on top! We toured their grounds, I had no idea there were that many kinds of pineapple :)
Small ones, big ones, colored ones!!!
We fed the coi in the pond, pretty funny....they were very hungry.
It continued to drizzle throughout the day, but we got used to it!


They have the best pineapple ice cream we have ever tasted, it even had fresh pineapple tidbits on top! We toured their grounds, I had no idea there were that many kinds of pineapple :)
Small ones, big ones, colored ones!!!
We fed the coi in the pond, pretty funny....they were very hungry.
It continued to drizzle throughout the day, but we got used to it!


No comments:
Post a Comment