Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 13

Hard to believe it's been almost 2 weeks of vacation.  It really has been a good refreshing time, I commented on one of my friends posts yesterday about the best part of this time off.  The time I've been able to spend with my wife and children (alone the past week) has been wonderful.  Normally I'd be checking email every couple minutes, dashing off to take a call, but now I'm able to appreciate Jayson's humor and Tyler's cute little voice that will be going away way too soon as he grows up.

We spent the morning at the local 4H fair, I'd grown up going to this every year and it was a blast to be able to relive some of it through my sons eyes.  I kept telling the boys there would be animals they could pet and my dad said, I can't make any promises about the quality of the fair.  Well, it was as small as I remembered, but there was a lot to do.  The boys got to sit down and hold little rabbits, Jayson got bored with it pretty quickly but that's all Tyler wanted to do.  Carrie and Geoffrey are in town, and G wanted to do the same thing, so Carrie sat with the 2 boys while they loved on the bunnies.  The rest of us looked at a raptor exhibition, they had several owls, hawks and even a raven.  The birds were very impressive, they did some flying games, where the hawk would fly in between 2 people, through outstretched arms and then dive bomb the crowd.

There were cows and chickens, goats and of course the rabbits.  There were some traditional fair contests, donut eating from a string.  J did really well, but because he didn't use his hands he came in last, there was some bad judging going on.  Then they did a corn peeling race, his group came in second.  The boys had a blast and the adults did as well.

We went back to the house and had lunch, then all crashed for naps, I couldn't believe how tired I was, the sun shines right into my room around 5:30, and being the light sleeper I am, I get up.  Once we woke up we went to the beach, this time we decided to go for the waves of 2nd beach.  It did not dissapoint.  The water was so warm, unfortunately there was a breeze that had kicked up but it wasn't so bad we had to leave.  The waves were constant, just like a real life wave pool.  Tyler was attacking the waves, he even guilted Geoffrey (2 years older) into going in the water, and they both had a blast.  Jayson of course was out much further trying to body surf the big waves.  He could stay in the water all day, he's such a fish.

It does seem the time is flying by, but I really am enjoying the time, I'm not stressed out about stuff like I normally am because I know I have plenty of time and even if I have to wait around, it's not a big deal.  Hopefully I'll be able to continue this philosophy when my sabbatical is over.

No comments: