Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hawaii - Day 3 (Tuesday)



A view from the top!
This day was the day of working out! While still on the mainland, we had decided we were going to "RUN" up to the top of Diamond Head Crater!!! Lucky for us, the trail is only about 1 mile long each way (pretty much up hill, switchbacks the entire trail). I was huffing and puffing before I even reached the end of the pavement, LOL. Matt had absolutely no interest in running up crater (he is not crazy like the rest of us), so he volunteered to carry the backpack/water and meet us at the top.

There were lots of these little "lookouts" all over the top of the crater, we assumed they were used during WWII as you had an awesome view of the ocean and shoreline from here.
A view of Waikiki Beach from the top of Diamond Head Crater.
(using super dooper zoom lens, it is much farther than it appears)
Matt and I after our long haul to the top!
Little did I know, after all the switchbacks.....there were stairs! (freaking LOTS of stairs....oh, we felt the burn!)

The drive to the Halona Blow Hole was pure heaven (for our legs).
The winds were pretty strong, the waves were pretty big and the blowhole was pretty cool.
Another view from the blowhole and another handstand, as if I wasn't tired enough ~ I was just trying to give my legs a break. ;-)

One of the beautiful views from the blowhole lookout, it looks so private! We really wanted to go down and just layout for the rest of the day, however, the tour buses started arriving and we discovered how NOT private this beach really was.

Our next adventure was a 4-miler (round trip)!
Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail (views from the top).
We were really hoping to see lots of whales, we spent a while looking and looking......there were just too many white caps! Lucky for us, on our hike back down the trail, we were able to see a whale just off in the distance.
Jen and I opted out of running up this one, we speed walked instead! Greg ran and Matt was our water boy!! (I love him).

Back in Waikiki, Jen and I laid out for while....ahhhhh, Hawaii!
Matt and Greg went back to Pearl Harbor and toured the Missouri.

Then we got all dressed up and headed out on the town,
Duke's for dinner tonight! Yummy.
Tomorrow, we catch our flight to Kauai!

No comments: